House cleaning is a chore, we know. But getting it right can make the difference between a house that is a delight to be in and one that is not.
We talked to many professional cleaners about their top suggestions for preparing your house for the summer. Here are their top 10 cleaning tips for a cleaner home this summer:
Ten top tips for a cleaner house:-
1. Get rid of what you don’t need – Clutter is unsightly, but it can also make your home feel smaller and more cluttered. So go through each room and get rid of anything you no longer need or use. This includes clothes, books, toys, and anything else taking up space. Consider donating anything you don’t use anymore to a local shelter or thrift shop to recycle items and reduce waste.
The minimalist look is not only stylish, but it will also make cleaning much more straightforward. When you have less stuff to move around and less things on surfaces, clean-up becomes a breeze.
2. Dust and vacuum regularly – Dusting and vacuuming are two of the most essential tasks for keeping your home clean. Dust collects on surfaces and can be easily stirred up, making it difficult to remove. Vacuuming removes dust and dirt from carpets and upholstery.
Don’t forget to dust off lamp shades and ceiling fans. Ceiling fans can be an absolute dust magnet. So make sure to dust them off regularly, especially during the summer months when they are used more often. Also, vacuum curtains. Curtains can be a dust trap, so vacuum them regularly or put them in the washing machine on a delicate cycle.
3. Wipe down surfaces – In addition to dusting, you should also wipe down and polish all surfaces, including countertops, tables, and chairs. This will remove any fingerprints or smudges that have collected on them.
Give cupboards and cabinets and extra wipe too to catch any spills you don’t usually see. Next time the sun shines in your kitchen, you will notice the difference.
4. Wash the floors – Floors can become filthy, especially if you have children or pets. So make sure to wash them regularly. This includes sweeping, mopping, and vacuuming, even in corners.
Don’t forget to clean under the furniture – Dust and dirt can collect under furniture, so make sure to vacuum or sweep underneath them. You might find some spare change or missing odds and ends in the process.
5. Clean those windows – Clean windows look good and let in more light, making your home feel more airy and spacious. Give windows an extra clean as well, inside and out if you can reach. Pay attention to the sill and where the window close.
In the summer sun, you may find yourself looking out of windows more than in the darker winter months. Nothing spoils that view more than smeary fingerprints and your dog’s nostril art on the glass. Clean, open windows make a fresh and clean summery vibe.
6. Make it smell fresh – Isn’t it nice to walk into a house when it smells good? Unpleasant odors can make your home feel less inviting. Identify any areas that tend to be smelly and tackle them head-on. This might mean cleaning the fridge or taking out the garbage more often. You can use air fresheners, candles, plants, or fresh flowers.
No one wants to invite guests into a house that smells. To avoid that embarrassment, keep your space clean, and throw open doors and windows to let the summer air revitalize your home.
7. Wash those walls – This is one that frequently gets overlooked. Walls can get dirty quickly, especially if you have kids or pets. So please give them a good wash down now and again. Also pay attention to dusty baseboards. Maybe there are cobwebs you haven’t noticed in the corners of rooms.
You don’t have to do this all the time, but when wiped down regularly, every corner of your house will be clean. You’ll be surprised how much brighter and cleaner your home will look and feel with freshly washed walls.
8. Organize your closets – Closets can quickly become a dumping ground for all of the things that we don’t know what else to do with. So take some time to go through them and organize everything. This will make it easier to find things when you need them and will also make your home look tidier.
A clean, well-organized home feels more welcoming, and you’ll be more likely to want to invite guests over for a summer barbecue.
9. Get rid of pet hair – If you have pets, then you know that their hair can get everywhere. So make sure to brush them regularly to control shedding, and vacuum up the floor and couch afterward.
Consider deep-cleaning your carpet every season if your pet tends to make occasional messes. If the weather is nice, open the windows to get a fresh breeze and help the carpet dry faster.
10. Keep a cleaning schedule – One of the best ways to keep your home clean is to develop a cleaning schedule and stick to it. This way, you’ll know exactly what needs to be done and when, and it will become second nature.
Don’t be afraid to include your children and the whole family to help with chores. It’s good for them to learn how to keep a clean house, and it will free up some of your time to enjoy the summer weather.
We know that cleaning isn’t fun, and many people try to avoid it as much as they can. But the truth is, a clean house is a happy house. So use these tips to make your home sparkle this summer.
Of course, if you’re too busy to spend hours cleaning, you may want to look at outsourcing the tasks around the house. On-demand services, such as MySquard, can provide one-off or regular cleaning services for busy households, leaving you free to prepare for the summer.